Re: High disk utilisation

Hi,
> On 30 Nov 2015, at 13:44, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 07:55:24 +0000 MATHIAS, Bryn (Bryn) wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> I’ll give you a much better dump of detail :)
>>
>> Running RHEL 7.1,
>> ceph version 0.94.5
>>
>> all ceph disks are xfs, with journals on a partition on the disk
>> Disks: 6Tb spinners.
>>
> OK, I was guessing that journal on disk, but good to know.
> Which exact model?
> Some of them are rather unsuited for Ceph usage (SMR).
I don’t know the exact model of the disks but they are not SMR disks.

>> Erasure coded pool with 4+1 EC ISA-L also.
>>
> OK, this is where I plead ignorance, no EC experience at all.
> But it would be strange for this to be hitting a single disk at a time.
It is hitting a single disk in each node, however I’d have thought that I’d see repetition over the disks if it were doing this on a per placement group basis.

>> No scrubbing reported in the ceph log, the cluster isn’t old enough yet
>> to be doing any deep scrubbing. Also the cpu usage of the osd deamon
>> that controls the disk isn’t spiking which I have seen previously when
>> scrubbing or deep scrubbing is taking place.
>>
> Alright, can you confirm (with atop or the likes) that the busy disk is
> actually being written/read to by the OSD process in question and if there
> is a corresponding network traffic for the amount of I/O?
I checked for network traffic, there didn’t look to be any.
Looks like the problem is transient and has disappeared for the moment.
I will post more when I see the problem again.

Bryn