НА: Changing monitors whilst running OpenNebula VMs

Hi!

Yes, we did exactly the same and do not have practically any problems except some
minor issues with recreatind VMs.

At first, OpenNebula use specified in a template ceph monitors only when creating VM
or migrating it. This template values passed as qemu parameters, when bootstrapping
VM. When VM is running, rbd layer get active monitors from within monmap,
that  available for all clients and reflects current configuration of cluster. So we
successfully move all 3 mons from one host group to another with VM running.

The two issue we faced is:
1. When live nigrating VM, OpenNebula use a template to create suspended VM on
target host, and if template contains old monitors, migration fails.
2. Monitor list copied from datastore definition to a template ONLY when you create
template. The template DO NOT REFLECT any further changes, that you do with
your datastore definition when migrationg mointors. So VM restart is not sufficient,
when you change your monitors - you need to recreate a template also.

PS: We use OpenNebula 4.8.

Megov Igor
CIO, Yuterra