Re: question on reusing OSD

Hello,

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:21:26 -0500 John-Paul Robinson wrote:

> The move  journal, partition resize, grow file system approach would
> work nicely if the spare capacity were at the end of the disk.

That shouldn't matter, you can "safely" loose your journal in controlled
circumstances.

This would also be an ideal time to put your journals on SSDs. ^o^

Roughly (you do have a test cluster, do you? Or at least try this with
just one OSD):

1. set noout just to be sure.
2. stop the OSD
3. "ceph-osd -i osdnum --flush-journal" for warm fuzzies (see man page or
--help)
4. clobber your partitions in a way that leaves you with an intact data
partition, grow that and the FS in it as desired.
5. re-init the journal with "ceph-osd -i osdnum --mkjournal"
6. start the OSD and rejoice.

More below.

> Unfortunately, the gdisk (0.8.1) end of disk location bug caused the
> journal placement to be at the 800GB mark, leaving the largest remaining
> partition at the end of the disk.   I'm assuming the gdisk bug was
> caused by overflowing a 32bit int during the -1000M offset from end of
> disk calculation.  When it computed the end of disk for the journal
> placement on disks >2TB it dropped the 2TB part of the size and was left
> only with the 800GB value, putting the journal there.  After gdisk
> created the journal at the 800GB mark (splitting the disk),
> ceph-disk-prepare told gdisk to take the largest remaining partition for
> data, using the 2TB partition at the end.
>
> Here's an example of the buggy partitioning:
>
>     crowbar@da0-36-9f-0e-28-2c:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sdd
>     GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8
>
>     Partition table scan:
>       MBR: protective
>       BSD: not present
>       APM: not present
>       GPT: present
>
>     Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
>     Disk /dev/sdd: 5859442688 sectors, 2.7 TiB
>     Logical sector size: 512 bytes
>     Disk identifier (GUID): 6F76BD12-05D6-4FA2-A132-CAC3E1C26C81
>     Partition table holds up to 128 entries
>     First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5859442654
>     Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
>     Total free space is 1562425343 sectors (745.0 GiB)
>
>     Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
>        1      1564475392      5859442654   2.0 TiB     FFFF  ceph data
>        2      1562425344      1564475358   1001.0 MiB  FFFF  ceph journal
>

> I assume I could still follow a disk-level relocation of data using dd
> and shift all my content forward in the disk and then grow the file
> system to the end, but this would take a significant amount of time,
> more than a quick restart of the OSD.
>
> This leaves me the option of setting noout and hoping for the best (no
> other failures) during my somewhat lengthy dd data movement or taking my
> osd down and letting the cluster begin repairing the redundancy.
>
> If I follow the second option of normal osd loss repair, my disk
> repartition step would be fast and I could bring the OSD back up rather
> quickly.  Does taking an OSD out of service, erasing it and bringing the
> same OSD back into service present any undue stress to the cluster?

Undue is such a nicely ambiguous word.
Recovering/Backfilling an OSD will stress your cluster, especially
considering that you're not using SSDs and a positively ancient version of
Ceph.

Make sure to set all appropriate recovery/backfill options to their
minimum.

OTOH your cluster should be able to handle losses of OSDs w/o melting down
and given the presumed age of your cluster you must have had OSD failures
before.
How did it fare then?

I have one cluster where loosing an OSD would be just background noise,
while another one would be seriously impacted by such a loss (working on
correcting that).

Regards,

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications