Re: question on reusing OSD

Christian,

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I'm wondering about step 4 "clobber partition, leaving data in
tact and grow partition and the file system as needed".

My understanding of xfs_growfs is that the free space must be at the end
of the existing file system.  In this case the existing partition starts
around the 800GB mark on the disk and and extends to the end of the
disk.  My goal is to add the first 800GB on the disk to that partition
so it can become a single data partition.

Note that my volumes are not LVM based so I can't extend the volume by
incorporating the free space at the start of the disk.

Am I misunderstanding something about file system grow commands?

Regarding your comments, on impact to the cluster of a downed OSD.  I
have lost OSDs and the impact is minimal (acceptable).

My concern is around taking an OSD down, having the cluster initiate
recovery and then bringing that same OSD back into the cluster in an
empty state.  Are the placement groups that originally had data on this
OSD already remapped by this point (even if they aren't fully recovered)
so that bring the empty, replacement OSD on-line simply causes a
different set of placement groups to be mapped onto it to achieve the
rebalance?

Thanks,

~jpr