Re: which SSD / experiences with Samsung 843T vs. Intel s3700

On 09/07/2015 11:34 AM, Quentin Hartman wrote:
fwiw, I am not confused about the various types of SSDs that Samsung
offers. I knew exactly what I was getting when I ordered them. Based on
their specs and my WAG on how much writing I would be doing they should
have lasted about 6 years. Turns out my estimates were wrong, but even
adjusting for actual use, I should have gotten about 18 months out of
these drives, but I have them dying now at 9 months, with about half of
their theoretical life left.

A list of hardware that is known to work well would be incredibly
valuable to people getting started. It doesn't have to be exhaustive,
nor does it have to provide all the guidance someone could want. A
simple "these things have worked for others" would be sufficient. If
nothing else, it will help people justify more expensive gear when their
approval people say "X seems just as good and is cheaper, why can't we
get that?".

So I have my opinions on different drives, but I think we do need to be really careful not to appear to endorse or pick on specific vendors. The more we can stick to high-level statements like:

- Drives should have high write endurance
- Drives should perform well with O_DSYNC writes
- Drives should support power loss protection for data in motion

The better I think. Once those are established, I think it's reasonable to point out that certain drives meet (or do not meet) those criteria and get feedback from the community as to whether or not vendor's marketing actually reflects reality. It'd also be really nice to see more information available like the actual hardware (capacitors, flash cells, etc) used in the drives. I've had to show photos of the innards of specific drives to vendors to get them to give me accurate information regarding certain drive capabilities. Having a database of such things available to the community would be really helpful.

To that point, I think perhaps though something more important than a
list of known "good" hardware would be a list of known "bad" hardware,

I'm rather hesitant to do this unless it's been specifically confirmed by the vendor. It's too easy to point fingers (see the recent kernel trim bug situation).

and perhaps some more experience about what kind of write volume people
should reasonably expect. Setting aside for a moment the early death
problem the recent Samsung drives clearly have (I wonder if it's a
side-effect of the "3D-NAND" tech?) I wouldn't have gotten them had my
estimates told me I'd only get 18 months out of them. That would have
also provided me the information I needed to justify the DC-class drives
that cost four times as much to those that approve purchases. Without
that critical piece of information, I'm left trying to justify thousands
of extra dollars with only "because they're better".

Also, I talked to a Samsung rep last week and he told me the DC 845 line
has been discontinued. The DC-class drives from Samsung are now model
pm863. They are theoretically on the market, but I've not been able to
find them in stock anywhere.

QH

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Jan Schermer <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx