Re: Best layout for SSD & SAS OSDs

> On 07 Sep 2015, at 12:19, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:11:27 +0200 Jan Schermer wrote:
>
>> Dense SSD nodes are not really an issue for network (unless you really
>> use all the throughput),
> That's exactly what I wrote...
> And dense in the sense of saturating his network would be 4 SSDs, so:
>
>> the issue is with CPU and memory throughput
>> (and possibly crappy kernel scheduler depending on how up-to-date distro
>> you use).
> Thats what I wrote as well, which makes smaller nodes with more CPU
> resources attractive.
>
>> Also if you want consistent performance even when failure
>> occurs, you need to either have 100% reliable SSDs, or put them in RAID
>> for the journals. You don't want to rebuild all those HDD OSDs. Losing a
>> journal SSD is more likely than losing a HDD these days.
>>
> Say what?
>
> My "Enterprise" HDDs are failing quite nicely, while I have yet to loose a
> single Intel SSD, DC or otherwise.

All I can say is "YMMV".
HDDs are much more proven technology - they die mechanicaly and you can burn them in (they usually either die shortly after put into production or from long-time wear).
SSDs have many issues (and HBAs have issues with SSDs), and some of these issues occur either randomly or because of a bug (like drives failing after exactly 3 months because of some internal timer overflowing).
Bottom line - HDDs are salvageable even when a firmware bug occurs or a DC spike fries them (you can swap electronics). SSDs are dead and you are SOL.

I think it's prudent to consider this bottom line always, not relying on a single component...