Re: Best layout for SSD & SAS OSDs

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:11:27 +0200 Jan Schermer wrote:

> Dense SSD nodes are not really an issue for network (unless you really
> use all the throughput),
That's exactly what I wrote...
And dense in the sense of saturating his network would be 4 SSDs, so:

> the issue is with CPU and memory throughput
> (and possibly crappy kernel scheduler depending on how up-to-date distro
> you use).
Thats what I wrote as well, which makes smaller nodes with more CPU
resources attractive.

> Also if you want consistent performance even when failure
> occurs, you need to either have 100% reliable SSDs, or put them in RAID
> for the journals. You don't want to rebuild all those HDD OSDs. Losing a
> journal SSD is more likely than losing a HDD these days.

Say what?

My "Enterprise" HDDs are failing quite nicely, while I have yet to loose a
single Intel SSD, DC or otherwise.

Christian