Re: Best layout for SSD & SAS OSDs

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 07:13:29 -0300 German Anders wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
>     Ok so would said that it's better to rearrange the nodes so i dont
> mix the hdd and ssd disks right? And create high perf nodes with ssd and
> others with hdd, its fine since its a new deploy.

It is what I would do, yes.
However if you're limited to 7 nodes initially specialized/optimized nodes
might result in pretty small "subclusters" and thus relatively large
failure domains.

If for example this cluster would consisted of 2 SSD and 5 HDD nodes,
loosing 1 of the SSD nodes would roughly halve your read speed from that
pool (while amusingly enough improve your write speed ^o^).
This is assuming a replication of 2 for SSD pools, which with DC SSDs is a
pretty safe choice.

Also dense SSDs nodes will be able to saturate your network easily, for
example 3-4 of the DC S3xxx SSDs will exceed the bandwidth of your links.
This is of course only an issue if you're actually expecting huge amounts
of reads/writes, as apposed to have lots of small transactions that depend
on low latency.

>    Also the nodes had different type of ram cpu, 4 had more cpu and more
> memory 384gb and other 3 had less cpu and 128gb of ram, so maybe i can
> put the ssd con the much more cpu nodes and left the hdd for the other
> nodes.

I take it from this that you already have those machines?
Which number and models CPUs exactly?

What you want is as MUCH CPU power for any SSD node as possible, while the
HDD nodes will benefit mostly from more RAM (page cache).

> Network is going to be used infiniband fdr at 56gb/s on all the
> nodes for the publ network and for the clus network.

Is this 1 interface for the public and 1 for the cluster network?
Note that with IPoIB (with Accelio not being ready yet) I'm seeing at most
1.5GByte/s with QDR (40Gb/s).

If you were to start with a clean slate, I'd go with something like this
to achieve the storage capacity you outlined:

* 1-2 Quad node chassis like this with 4-6 SSD ODS per node and a 2nd IB
HCA, or a similar product w/o onboard IB and a 2 port IB HCA:
http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/system/2U/2028/SYS-2028TP-HTFR.cfm
That will give you 4-8 high performance SSD nodes in 2-4U.

* 5 HDD storage nodes, with 8-10 HDDs and 2-4 journal SSDs like this:
http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/system/2U/5028/SSG-5028R-E1CR12L.cfm
(4 100GB DC S3700 will perform better than 2 200GB ones and give you
smaller failure domains at about the same price).

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/