Re: osds on 2 nodes vs. on one node

Rewording to remove confusion...

Config 1: set up a cluster with 1 node with 6 OSDs
Config 2: identical hardware, set up a cluster with 2 nodes with 3 OSDs each

In each case I do the following:
   1) rados bench write --no-cleanup the same number of 4M size objects
   2) drop caches on all osd nodes
   3) rados bench seq  -t 4 to sequentially read the objects
      and record the read bandwidth

Rados bench is running on a separate client, not on an OSD node.
The client has plenty of spare CPU power and the network and disk
utilization are not limiting factors.

With Config 1, I see approximately 70% more sequential read bandwidth than with Config 2.

In both cases the primary OSDs of the objecgts appear evenly distributed across OSDs.

Yes, replication factor is 2 but since we are only measuring read performance,
I don't think that matters.

Question is whether there is a ceph parameter that might be throttling the
2 node configuation?

-- Tom