Re: high density machines

My take is that you really only want to do these kinds of systems if you have massive deployments. At least 10 of them, but probably more like 20-30+. You do get massive density with them, but I think if you are considering 5 of these, you'd be better off with 10 of the 36 drive units. An even better solution might be ~30-40 of these:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6017/SYS-6017R-73THDP_.cfm

An extremely compelling solution would be if they took this system:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5018/SSG-5018A-AR12L.cfm?parts=SHOW

and replaced the C2750 with a Xeon-D 1540 (but keep the same number of SATA ports).

Potentially you could have:

- 8x 2.0GHz Xeon Broadwell-DE Cores, 45W TDP
- Up to 128GB RAM (32GB probably the sweet spot)
- 2x 10GbE
- 12x 3.5" spinning disks
- single PCIe slot for PCIe SSD/NVMe

The density would be higher than the 36 drive units but lower than the 72 drive units (though with shorter rack depth afaik). Probably more CPU per OSD and far better distribution of OSDs across servers. Given that the 10GbE and processor are embedded on the motherboard, there's a decent chance these systems could be priced reasonably and wouldn't have excessive power/cooling requirements.

Mark