Re: osds on 2 nodes vs. on one node

Hello,

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 22:38:12 +0000 Deneau, Tom wrote:

> In a small cluster I have 2 OSD nodes with identical hardware, each with
> 6 osds.
>
> * Configuration 1:  I shut down the osds on one node so I am using 6
> OSDS on a single node

Shut down how?
Just a "service blah stop" or actually removing them from the cluster aka
CRUSH map?

> * Configuration 2:  I shut down 3 osds on each node so now I have 6
> total OSDS but 3 on each node.

Same as above.
And in this case even more relevant, because just shutting down random OSDs
on both nodes would result in massive recovery action at best and more
likely a broken cluster.

> I measure read performance using rados bench from a separate client node.
Default parameters?

> The client has plenty of spare CPU power and the network and disk
> utilization are not limiting factors. In all cases, the pool type is
> replicated so we're just reading from the primary.

Replicated as in size 2?
We can guess/assume that from your cluster size, but w/o you telling us
or giving us all the various config/crush outputs that is only a guess.

> With Configuration 1, I see approximately 70% more bandwidth than with
> configuration 2.

Never mind that bandwidth is mostly irrelevant in real life, which
bandwidth, read or write?

> In general, any configuration where the osds span 2
> nodes gets poorer performance but in particular when the 2 nodes have
> equal amounts of traffic.

Again, guessing from what you're actually doing this isn't particular
surprising.
Because with a single node, default rules and replication of 2 your OSDs
never have to replicate anything when it comes to writes.
Whereas with 2 nodes replication happens and takes more time (latency) and
might also saturate your network (we have of course no idea how your
cluster looks like).

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/