Re: EXT4 for Production and Journal Question?

Le 24/08/2015 19:34, Robert LeBlanc a écrit :
> Building off a discussion earlier this month [1], how "supported" is
> EXT4 for OSDs? It seems that some people are getting good results with
> it and I'll be testing it in our environment.
>
> The other question is if the EXT4 journal is even necessary if you are
> using Ceph SSD journals. My thoughts are thus: Incoming I/O is written
> to the SSD journal. The journal then flushes to the EXT4 partition.
> Only after the write is completed (I understand that this is a direct
> sync write) does Ceph free the SSD journal entry.
>
> Doesn't this provide the same reliability as the EXT4 journal? If an
> OSD crashed in the middle of the write with no EXT4 journal, the file
> system would be repaired and then Ceph would rewrite the last
> transaction that didn't complete? I'm sure I'm missing something
> here...

I didn't try this configuration but what you miss is probably :
- the file system recovery time when there's no journal available.
e2fsck on large filesystems can be long and may need user interaction.
You don't want that if you just had a cluster-wide (or even partial but
involving tens of disks some of which might be needed to reach min_size)
power failure.
- the less tested behaviour: I'm not sure there's even a guarantee from
ext4 without journal than e2fsck can recover properly after a crash (ie:
with data consistent with the Ceph journal).

Lionel