EXT4 for Production and Journal Question?

Building off a discussion earlier this month [1], how "supported" is
EXT4 for OSDs? It seems that some people are getting good results with
it and I'll be testing it in our environment.

The other question is if the EXT4 journal is even necessary if you are
using Ceph SSD journals. My thoughts are thus: Incoming I/O is written
to the SSD journal. The journal then flushes to the EXT4 partition.
Only after the write is completed (I understand that this is a direct
sync write) does Ceph free the SSD journal entry.

Doesn't this provide the same reliability as the EXT4 journal? If an
OSD crashed in the middle of the write with no EXT4 journal, the file
system would be repaired and then Ceph would rewrite the last
transaction that didn't complete? I'm sure I'm missing something
here...

Thanks,

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg20839.html