Re: EC cluster design considerations

Hello,

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 16:17:20 +0000 Paul Evans wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Adrien Gillard
> <gillard.adrien@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gillard.adrien@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Lastly, regarding Cluster Throughput:  EC seems to require a bit more
> CPU and memory than straight replication, which begs the question of how
> much RAM and CPU are you putting into the chassis?  With proper amounts,
> you should be able to hit your throughput targets,. Yes, I have read
> about that, I was thinking 64 GB of RAM  (maybe overkill, even with the
> 1GB of RAM per TB ? but I would rather have an optimal RAM configuration
> in terms of DIMM / channels / CPU) and 2x8 Intel cores per host (around
> 2Ghz per core). As the cluster will be used for backups, the goal is not
> to be limited by the storage backend during the backup window overnight.
> I do not expect much load during daytime.
>
> 64G is “OK” provided you tune the system well and DON”T add extra
> services onto your OSD nodes.  If you’ll also have 3 of them acting as
> MONs, more memory is advised (probably 96-128G).

MONs don't need much in terms of memory. Certainly not 32GB.
What they do need is a moderate amount of CPU, so if those nodes can get
CPU bound by doing OSD work, maybe some pinning might be required.
And what they REALLY need is fast IO for their levelDBs and logs.

>  At the moment I am planning to have a smaller dedicated node for the
> master monitor ( ~ 8 cores, 32G RAM, SSD) and virtual machines for MON 2
> and 3 (with enough resources and virtual disk on SSD)
>

> It would be good to have others comment on the practicality of this
> design, as I don’t believe there is a benefit to having a single MON
> that is ‘better' than the other two. My reasoning comes from a limited
> understanding of the Paxos implementation within Ceph, which suggests
> that a majority of MONs must be available at all times (i.e. - 2 of the
> 3), and that MON activities will be processed according to the speed of
> the slowest quorum member.  If two of the MONs are running as VMs on OSD
> hosts, and you have a write-heavy workload, I can foresee some
> interesting resource contention issues that might sometimes destabilize
> your entire cluster.   YMMV.

Even the least capable MON needs to be able to do the job, indeed.
However I'd still give the main MON more resources and faster/more durable
SSDs than the others, as it will by default do most of the work (and more
than the secondary ones).

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications