Re: EC cluster design considerations

Adding back the list, didn't realise I omitted it on my first reply :)

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Paul Evans <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 3, 2015, at 9:17 AM, Adrien Gillard <gillard.adrien@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was also thinking of going 6+2 with 9 hosts but the cluster would definitely be too large :) It may be considered at the time I need to add hosts : having a new 6+2 pool and the backups done on this one. But this is a long way to get there :)
See my final comment below...

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for :)
Glad to help.

Yes it will be accessed via RBD. I didn't know the write limitations induced the need for a cache tier. So I will need at least two pools in the cluster, one replicated for the cache and one EC as a backend for cold data ?

The pools can overlay the same disks, which causes double the writes but is the price we pay for the current EC implementation.  If you have 230TB RAW, you could allocate roughly 2x your daily ingest to the Cache pool, and use the rest for the EC pool. Example:  you ingest 5TB/day…create a Replicated Pool (size=3) of 30TB, leaving 200TB RAW for the EC pool. No need to allocate distinct disks for the Replicated pool.

Okay, this ends up  with a behaviour similar to traditional SAN that integrates a tiering technology except you use the same disks. This also deals with my concerns about performance, in a way.

Lastly, regarding Cluster Throughput:  EC seems to require a bit more CPU and memory than straight replication, which begs the question of how much RAM and CPU are you putting into the chassis?  With proper amounts, you should be able to hit your throughput targets,.
Yes, I have read about that, I was thinking 64 GB of RAM  (maybe overkill, even with the 1GB of RAM per TB ? but I would rather have an optimal RAM configuration in terms of DIMM / channels / CPU) and 2x8 Intel cores per host (around 2Ghz per core). As the cluster will be used for backups, the goal is not to be limited by the storage backend during the backup window overnight. I do not expect much load during daytime.

64G is “OK” provided you tune the system well and DON”T add extra services onto your OSD nodes.  If you’ll also have 3 of them acting as MONs, more memory is advised (probably 96-128G).

 At the moment I am planning to have a smaller dedicated node for the master monitor ( ~ 8 cores, 32G RAM, SSD) and virtual machines for MON 2 and 3 (with enough resources and virtual disk on SSD)

Best regards,
  Paul