Re: Very low 4k randread performance ~1000iops

I currently have about 250 VMs, ranging from 16GB to 2TB in size. What I found, after about a week of testing, sniffing, and observing, is that the larger read ahead buffer causes the VM to chunk reads over to ceph, and in doing so, allows it to better align with the 4MB block size that Ceph uses. If I dropped the cache below 16MB, performance would degrade, almost linearly, all the way down to the 16kb standard size. And when I increased it above 16MB, there were some intermittent gains, but overall nothing to write home about.

For reference, our ceph cluster is 88TB, spread across 88 1TB SSDs. Each storage node has 100GbE connectivity, and each cloud host (proxmox) has 40GbE. I'm able to sustain 3400 iops regularly, and seen spikes as high as 5200+ iops in our calamari logs. In addition, due to some clever use of LACP and mlag, I'm able to sustain 3000+ iops per cloud host simultaneously. Our workload at this time for the VMs are MSSQL servers, MySQL servers, and BI servers (Pentaho). We also have our ELK stack and collectd/Graphite/Grafana stack in this specific cloud.

In the end, the root cause of the issue, based on my testing and investigations, centers around the mismatch of the block sizes between the VMs (4kb buffered to 16kb default) and Ceph (4MB blocks).

--
Stephen Mercier
Senior Systems Architect

Capital equipment lifecycle planning & budgeting solutions for healthcare