Re: Cost- and Powerefficient OSD-Nodes

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

I guess I will be going with those or WD Se then, whichever is cheaper.
The specs are afaict identical.

>> > Sorry nothing in detail, I did actually build a ceph cluster on the
>> > same 8 core CPU as you have listed. I didn't have any performance
>> > problems but I do remember with SSD journals when doing high queue
>> > depth writes I could get the CPU quite high. It's like what I said
>> > before about the 1vs10Gb networking, how important is performance, If
>> > using this CPU gives you an extra 1ms of latency per OSD, is that
>> acceptable?
>> >
>> > Agree 12cores (guessing 2.5Ghz each) will be an overkill for just 12
>> > OSDs. I have a very similar spec and see exactly the same as you, but
>> > will change the nodes to 1CPU each when I expand and use the spare
>> > CPU's for the new nodes.
>> >
>> > I'm using this:-
>> >
>> > http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/4U/F617/SYS-F617H6-
>> FTPTL_.cfm
>> >
>> > Mainly because of rack density, which I know doesn't apply to you. But
>> > the fact they share PSU's/Rails/Chassis helps reduce power a bit and
>> > drives down cost
>> >
>> > I can get 14 disks in each and they have 10GB on board. The SAS
>> > controller is flashable to JBOD mode.
>> >
>> > Maybe one of the other Twin solutions might be suitable?
>>
>> I did consider that exact model (It was mentioned on the list some time
> ago) I
>> could get about the same effective storage-capacity with it, but 10G-
>> Networking is just too expensive on the Switch-side.
>>
>> Also those nodes and 10G-Switches consume a lot more power.
>>
>> By my estimates and numbers I found, the Avoton-Nodes should run at
>> about 55W each. The Switches (EX3300) according to tech-specs would need
>> 76W at max each.
>>

> Have you worked out how many watts per disk that is though?
>
> 55W/3Disks = 18.3W per disk
>
> My Chassis at the moment
> 170w/12disks = 13.3W per disk

I will be running 4 disks/osds per node, ~ 13.75W per disk. I hope the real
consumption will be around 50W.
(I want to put the SSD inside the node. SSD failure is equivalent to
complete node failure anyway.)