Re: Cost- and Powerefficient OSD-Nodes

>> Interconnect as currently planned:
>> 4 x 1Gbit LACP Bonds over a pair of MLAG-capable switches (planned:
>> EX3300)

> If you can do 10GB networking its really worth it. I found that with 1G,
> latency effects your performance before you max out the bandwidth. We got
> some Supermicro servers with 10GB-T onboard for a tiny price difference and
> some basic 10GB-T switches.

I do not except to max out the bandwidth. My estimation would be 200 MB/s r/w
are needed at maximum.

The performance-metric that suffers most as far as I read would be IOPS?
How many IOps do you think will be possible with 8 x 4osd-nodes with 4x1Gbit
(distributed among all the clients, VMs, etc)

>> 250GB SSD - Journal (MX200 250GB with extreme over-provisioning,
>> staggered deployment, monitored for TBW-Value)

> Not sure if that SSD would be suitable for a journal. I would recommend
> going with one of the Intel 3700's. You could also save a bit and run the OS
> from it.

I am still on the fence about ditching the SATA-DOM and install the OS on
the SSD as well.

If the MX200 turn out to be unsuited, I can still use them for other
purposes and fetch some better SSDs later.

>> Seagate Surveillance HDD (ST3000VX000) 7200rpm

> Would also possibly consider a more NAS/Enterprise friendly HDD

I thought video-surveillance HDDs would be a nice fit, they are build to
run 24/7 and to write multiple data-stream at the same time to disk.
Also cheap, which enables me to get more nodes from the start.

> CPU might be on the limit, but would probably suffice. If anything you
> won't max out all the cores, but the overall speed of the CPU might
> increase latency, which may or may not be a problem for you.

Do you have some values, so that I can imagine the difference?
I also maintain another cluster with dual-socket hexa-core Xeon 12osd-nodes
and all the CPUs do is idling. And the 2x10G LACP Link is usually never
used above 1 Gbit.
Hence the focus on cost-efficiency with this build.