Re: Cost- and Powerefficient OSD-Nodes

Yes as the queue depth increases so will total IOPs, but I found it quite
hard to get above 40-50MB/s unless doing large block sizes

> Some presentation material suggested that the adverse effects of higher
> latency, due to 1Gbit, begin above IO sizes of 2k, maybe there is room to
> tune IOPs hungry applications/vms accordingly.
>
> > Just had a look and the Seagate Surveillance disks spin at 7200RPM
> > (missed that you put that there), whereas the WD ones that I am
> > familiar with spin at 5400rpm, so not as bad as I thought.
> >
> > So probably ok to use, but I don't see many people using them for
> > Ceph/ generic NAS so can't be sure there's no hidden gotchas.
>
> I am not sure how trustworthy newegg-reviews are, but somehow I get
> some doubts about them now.
> I guess it does not matter that much, at least if not more than a disk a
month
> is failing? The 3-year warranty gives some hope..
>
> Are there some cost-efficient HDDs that someone can suggest? (Most likely
> 3TB drives, that seems to be the sweet-spot at the moment.)

I'm using WD Red Pro (non pro's are slower), reasonable cost and perform
pretty much the same as the enterprise line drives

> > Sorry nothing in detail, I did actually build a ceph cluster on the
> > same 8 core CPU as you have listed. I didn't have any performance
> > problems but I do remember with SSD journals when doing high queue
> > depth writes I could get the CPU quite high. It's like what I said
> > before about the 1vs10Gb networking, how important is performance, If
> > using this CPU gives you an extra 1ms of latency per OSD, is that
> acceptable?
> >
> > Agree 12cores (guessing 2.5Ghz each) will be an overkill for just 12
> > OSDs. I have a very similar spec and see exactly the same as you, but
> > will change the nodes to 1CPU each when I expand and use the spare
> > CPU's for the new nodes.
> >
> > I'm using this:-
> >
> > http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/4U/F617/SYS-F617H6-
> FTPTL_.cfm
> >
> > Mainly because of rack density, which I know doesn't apply to you. But
> > the fact they share PSU's/Rails/Chassis helps reduce power a bit and
> > drives down cost
> >
> > I can get 14 disks in each and they have 10GB on board. The SAS
> > controller is flashable to JBOD mode.
> >
> > Maybe one of the other Twin solutions might be suitable?
>
> I did consider that exact model (It was mentioned on the list some time
ago) I
> could get about the same effective storage-capacity with it, but 10G-
> Networking is just too expensive on the Switch-side.
>
> Also those nodes and 10G-Switches consume a lot more power.
>
> By my estimates and numbers I found, the Avoton-Nodes should run at
> about 55W each. The Switches (EX3300) according to tech-specs would need
> 76W at max each.

Have you worked out how many watts per disk that is though?

55W/3Disks = 18.3W per disk

My Chassis at the moment
170w/12disks = 13.3W per disk