Re: Possible improvements for a slow write speed (excluding independent SSD journals)

On 04/21/2015 03:04 AM, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
Hi

I have been testing the Samsung 840 Pro (128gb) for quite sometime and I
can also confirm that this drive is unsuitable for osd journal. The
performance and latency that I get from these drives (according to ceph
osd perf) are between 10 - 15 times slower compared to the Intel 520.
The Intel 530 drives are also pretty awful. They are meant to be a
replacement of the 520 drives, but the performance is pretty bad.

I have found Intel 520 to be a reasonable drive for performance per
price, for a cluster without a great deal of writes. However they do not
make those anymore.

Be very careful with the 520s. I myself have some in my test lab and they are fantastic as far as performance, but I think it's possible they may ignore ATA_CMD_FLUSH. O_DSYNC writes are very fast on them yet they don't have any apparent power loss protection. I suspect they fixed this in the 530 which is why it is so much slower at O_DSYNC writes.

Otherwise, it seems that the Intel 3600 and 3700 series is a good
performer and has a much longer life expectancy.

Andrei