Re: tgt and krbd

On Friday, March 6, 2015, Steffen W Sørensen <stefws@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/03/2015, at 16.50, Jake Young <jak3kaj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After seeing your results, I've been considering experimenting with that.  Currently, my iSCSI proxy nodes are VMs.
>
> I would like to build a few dedicated servers with fast SSDs or fusion-io devices.  It depends on my budget, it's hard to justify getting a card that costs 10x the rest of the server...  I would run all my tgt instances in containers pointing to the rbd disk+cache device.  A fusion-io device could support many tgt containers.
>
> I don't really want to go back to krbd.  I have a few rbd's that are format 2 with striping, there aren't any stable kernels that support that (or any kernels at all yet for "fancy striping").

> I wish there was a way to incorporate a local cache device into tgt with librbd backends.
What about a ram disk device like rapid disk+cache in front of your rbd block device

http://www.rapiddisk.org/?page_id=15#rapiddisk

/Steffen

I could try that in my VM to prototype the solution before I buy hardware.

RAM based cache is pretty dangerous for this application. If I reboot the VM and don't disconnect the initiators, there would most likely be data corruption, or at the very least data loss.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jake