Re: Persistent Write Back Cache

On 04/03/2015 08:26, Nick Fisk wrote:
To illustrate the difference a proper write back cache can make, I put a 1GB (512mb dirty threshold) flashcache in front of my RBD and tweaked the flush parameters to flush dirty blocks at a large queue depth. The same fio test (128k iodepth=1) now runs at 120MB/s and is limited by the performance of SSD used by flashcache, as everything is stored as 4k blocks on the ssd. In fact since everything is stored as 4k blocks, pretty much all IO sizes are accelerated to max speed of the SSD. Looking at iostat I can see all the IO’s are getting coalesced into nice large 512kb IO’s at a high queue depth, which Ceph easily swallows.

If librbd could support writing its cache out to SSD it would hopefully achieve the same level of performance and having it integrated would be really neat.

What are you hoping to gain from building something into ceph instead of using flashcache/bcache/dm-cache on top of it?  It seems like since you would anyway need to handle your HA configuration, setting up the actual cache device would be the simple part.

Cheers,
John