From: Christian Balzer [mailto:chibi@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 01 March 2015 03:44
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Nick Fisk
Subject: Re:  Booting from journal devices

Hello,

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:47:14 -0000 Nick Fisk wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Thought I would just share this in case someone finds it useful.
>

> I've just finished building our new Ceph cluster where the journals
> are installed on the same SSD's as the OS. The SSD's have a MD raid
> partitions for the OS and swap and the rest of the SSD's are used for
> individual journal partitions. The OS is Ubuntu and as such the
> default install is using MBR partitions.

When you say MBR, do you mean DOS partitions?

> After we created the OSD's, the servers were unable to boot anymore.
> This was caused by the ceph-deploy making GPT partitions for the
> journals on the SSD's, effectively what it looks like is that its
> overwriting the MBR boot record.

Another reason I dislike these black box, "we know better what you want"
approaches.

Which version of ceph-deploy was this?

Did you create the journal partitions beforehand?

Because I have a cluster very much like it and ceph-deploy v1.5.7 did not touch the OS/Journal SSDs other than initializing the journals (partitions had been created with fdisk before).

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/