Booting from journal devices

Hi All,

Thought I would just share this in case someone finds it useful.

I’ve just finished building our new Ceph cluster where the journals are installed on the same SSD’s as the OS. The SSD’s have a MD raid partitions for the OS and swap and the rest of the SSD’s are used for individual journal partitions. The OS is Ubuntu and as such the default install is using MBR partitions.

After we created the OSD’s, the servers were unable to boot anymore. This was caused by the ceph-deploy making GPT partitions for the journals on the SSD’s, effectively what it looks like is that its overwriting the MBR boot record.

To fix it I carried out the following steps:-

1.       Used gdisk on both SSD’s to create a new partition from sector 34 to 2047, of type EF02

2.       Ran grub-install against each SSD device

Hope that’s helps someone, if they come across the same problem.

Nick