Re: snapshoting on btrfs vs xfs

Hi Cristian,

> We will try to report back, but I'm not sure our use case is relevant.
> We are trying to use every dirty trick to speed up the VMs.

we have the same use-case.

> The second pool is for the tests machines and has the journal in ram,
> so this part is very volatile. We don't really care, because if the
> worst happens and we have a power loss we just redo the pool and start
> new instances. Journal in ram did wonders for us in terms of
> read/write speed.

How do you handle a reboot of a node managing your pool having the journals in RAM?
All the mon's knows about the volatile pool - do you have remove & recreate the
pool automatically after rebooting this node?

Did you tried to enable rdb-caching? Is there a write-performance benefit using
journal @RAM instead of enable rbd-caching on client (openstack) side ?
I thought with rbd-caching the write performance should be fast enough.

regards
Danny