Re: cephfs-fuse: set/getfattr, change pools

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Daniel Schneller
<daniel.schneller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> We have a CephFS directory /baremetal mounted as /cephfs via FUSE on our
>>> clients.
>>> There are no specific settings configured for /baremetal.
>>> As a result, trying to get the directory layout via getfattr does not
>>> work
>>>
>>> getfattr -n 'ceph.dir.layout' /cephfs
>>> /cephfs: ceph.dir.layout: No such attribute
>>

>> What version are you running? I thought it was zapped a while ago, but
>> in some versions of the code you can't access these xattrs on the root
>> inode (but you can on everything else).
>

> 0.80.7

Okay, I've looked at the code a bit, and I think that it's not showing
you one because there isn't an explicit layout set. You should still
be able to set one if you like, though; have you tried that?

>>> (BTW: Why doesn't getfattr -d -m - dummy.txt show any of the Ceph
>>> attributes?)
>>

>> They're virtual xattrs controlling layout: you don't want tools like
>> rsync trying to copy them around.
>

> That actually makes perfect sense :)
>
>> You can change the layout settings whenever you want, but there's no
>> mechanism for CephFS to move the data between different pools; it
>> simply applies the settings when the file is created.
>

> Understood. So if we did not move the data ourselves, e. g. by mounting
> both CephFS paths simultaneously to different mount points and moved
> the data over using rsync, mv, cp, ... we would gradullay get new files
> stored in the old pool, new files in the new? So every file knows about
> its containing pool itself, right?

Correct.
-Greg