Re: cephfs-fuse: set/getfattr, change pools

We have a CephFS directory /baremetal mounted as /cephfs via FUSE on our
clients.
There are no specific settings configured for /baremetal.
As a result, trying to get the directory layout via getfattr does not work

getfattr -n 'ceph.dir.layout' /cephfs
/cephfs: ceph.dir.layout: No such attribute

What version are you running? I thought it was zapped a while ago, but
in some versions of the code you can't access these xattrs on the root
inode (but you can on everything else).

0.80.7

(BTW: Why doesn't getfattr -d -m - dummy.txt show any of the Ceph
attributes?)

They're virtual xattrs controlling layout: you don't want tools like
rsync trying to copy them around.

That actually makes perfect sense :)

You can change the layout settings whenever you want, but there's no
mechanism for CephFS to move the data between different pools; it
simply applies the settings when the file is created.

Understood. So if we did not move the data ourselves, e. g. by mounting
both CephFS paths simultaneously to different mount points and moved
the data over using rsync, mv, cp, ... we would gradullay get new files
stored in the old pool, new files in the new? So every file knows about
its containing pool itself, right?

Cheers,
Daniel