Re: When is the rctime updated in CephFS?

On 12/18/2014 03:37 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been playing around a bit with the recursive statistics for CephFS
>> today and I'm seeing some behavior with the rstats what I don't understand.
>>
>> I /A/B/C in my CephFS.
>>
>> I changed a file in 'C' and the ceph.dir.rctime xattr changed
>> immediately. I've been waiting for 60 minutes now, but /A and /A/B still
>> have their old rctime.
>>
>> A: 1418905422 (18-12-2014 13:23:42)
>> B: 1418905422 (18-12-2014 13:23:42)
>> C: 1418909134 (18-12-2014 14:25:34)
>>
>> It's 15:21:34 right now, so after 1 hour the rctime of A and B still
>> hasn't updated.
>>
>> How long does this take? I know the MDS is lazy in updating the rstats,
>> but one hour is quite long, isn't it?
>
> This is a bit of a loose end at the moment.  The client doesn't have any
> refresh value for these stats.  Right now an 'ls' in the parent dir will
> get you a fresh value, but repeatedly calling 'stat' will keep giving you
> the cached value.

The ls didn't really trigger it for me. I'm using getfattr btw:

$ getfattr -n ceph.dir.rctime /mnt/cephfs/A

I unmounted and mounted and it worked right away.

So this is probably not a real issue on a active filesystem where lots
of I/O on that client is happening, right?

I'm building a PoC backup script which uses the rctimes to backup CephFS
in a reasonable way, not having rsync scan the whole tree.

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902