Re: When is the rctime updated in CephFS?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing around a bit with the recursive statistics for CephFS
> today and I'm seeing some behavior with the rstats what I don't understand.
>
> I /A/B/C in my CephFS.
>
> I changed a file in 'C' and the ceph.dir.rctime xattr changed
> immediately. I've been waiting for 60 minutes now, but /A and /A/B still
> have their old rctime.
>
> A: 1418905422 (18-12-2014 13:23:42)
> B: 1418905422 (18-12-2014 13:23:42)
> C: 1418909134 (18-12-2014 14:25:34)
>
> It's 15:21:34 right now, so after 1 hour the rctime of A and B still
> hasn't updated.
>
> How long does this take? I know the MDS is lazy in updating the rstats,
> but one hour is quite long, isn't it?

This is a bit of a loose end at the moment.  The client doesn't have any
refresh value for these stats.  Right now an 'ls' in the parent dir will
get you a fresh value, but repeatedly calling 'stat' will keep giving you
the cached value.

I'm not sure what the right fix is.  The normal inode fields are all
perfectly accurate, and the protocol is built around making sure that's
the case.. not giving "reasonably timely" values to the new stuff. :/

sage