Re: Proper procedure for osd/host removal

I'm going through something similar, and it seems like the double backfill you're experiencing is about par for the course. According to the CERN presentation (http://www.slideshare.net/Inktank_Ceph/scaling-ceph-at-cern slide 19), doing a 'ceph osd crush rm osd <ID>' should save the double backfill, but I haven't experienced that in my 0.80.5 cluster. Even after I do a crush rm osd, and finally remove it via ceph rm osd.<ID>, it computes a new map and does the backfill again. As far as I can tell, there's no way around it without editing the map manually, making whatever changes you require and then pushing the new map. I personally am not experienced enough to feel comfortable making that kind of a change.

Adeel