Proper procedure for osd/host removal

Hello,

I've been working to upgrade the hardware on a semi-production ceph cluster, following the instructions for OSD removal from http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/#removing-osds-manual. Basically, I've added the new hosts to the cluster and now I'm removing the old ones from it.

What I found curious is that after the sync triggered by the "ceph osd out <id>" finishes and I stop the osd process and remove it from the crush map, another session of synchronization is triggered - sometimes this one takes longer than the first. Also, removing an empty "host" bucket from the crush map triggred another resynchronization.

I noticed that the overall weight of the host bucket does not change in the crush map as a result of one OSD being "out", therefore what is happening is kinda' normal behavior - however it remains time-consuming. Is there something that can be done to avoid the double resync?

I'm running 0.72.2 on top of ubuntu 12.04 on the OSD hosts.

Thanks,
Dinu