Re: Watch for fstrim running on your Ubuntu systems

On 12/09/2014 12:12 PM, Luis Periquito wrote:
> Hi Wido,
> thanks for sharing.
>
> fortunately I'm still running precise but planning on moving to trusty.
>
> From what I'm aware it's not a good idea to be running discard on the FS,
> as it does have an impact of the delete operation, which some may even
> consider an unnecessary amount of work for the SSD.

The 'discard' mount option is a real performance killer. You shouldn't
use that.

> OTOH we should be running TRIM to improve write performance (and the only
> reason we are running SSDs is for performance). Running it weekly seems to
> be killing it also.
>
> So what do you think will be the best way to do this?

I think that fstrim could still run if the proper ionice is used. I
haven't tested that yet, but next Sunday I'll know.

We modified the CRONs there and somebody will be on it to monitor how it
works out.

ionice -c Idle fstrim <mountpoint>

> And what about the journal? I'm using a raw partition for it, on a SSD.
> Will ceph do a proper trimming of it?

No, Ceph will not. The best thing there is to partition just the
beginning of the brand-new SSD and leave 80%~90% unused. The Wear
Leveling algorithm inside the SSD will do the rest.

Wido