From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
David Moreau Simard
Sent: 11 November 2014 12:05
To: Nick Fisk
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Stackforge Puppet Module

Hi Nick,

The great thing about puppet-ceph's implementation on Stackforge is that it
is both unit and integration tested.
You can see the integration tests here:
https://github.com/ceph/puppet-ceph/tree/master/spec/system

Where I'm getting at is that the tests allow you to see how you can use the
module to a certain extent.
For example, in the OSD integration tests:
-
https://github.com/ceph/puppet-ceph/blob/master/spec/system/ceph_osd_spec.rb
#L24 and then:
-
https://github.com/ceph/puppet-ceph/blob/master/spec/system/ceph_osd_spec.rb
#L82-L110

There's no auto discovery mechanism built-in the module right now. It's kind
of dangerous, you don't want to format the wrong disks.

Now, this doesn't mean you can't "discover" the disks yourself and pass them
to the module from your site.pp or from a composition layer.
Here's something I have for my CI environment that uses the $::blockdevices
fact to discover all devices, split that fact into a list of the devices and
then reject the drives I don't want (such as the OS disk):

    # Assume OS is installed on xvda/sda/vda.
    # On an Openstack VM, vdb is ephemeral, we don't want to use vdc.
    # WARNING: ALL OTHER DISKS WILL BE FORMATTED/PARTITIONED BY CEPH!
    $block_devices = reject(split($::blockdevices, ','),
'(xvda|sda|vda|vdc|sr0)')
    $devices = prefix($block_devices, '/dev/')

And then you can pass $devices to the module.

Let me know if you have any questions !
--
David Moreau Simard