Ceph and Compute on same hardware?

Hi,

A while back on a blog I saw mentioned that Ceph should not be run on compute nodes and in the general sense should be on dedicated hardware. Does this really still apply?

An example, if you have nodes comprised of

16+ cores
256GB+ RAM
Dual 10GBE Network
2+8 OSD (SSD log + HDD store)

I understand that Ceph can use a lot of IO and CPU in some cases but if the nodes are powerful enough does it not make it an option to run compute and storage on the same hardware to either increase density of compute or save money on additional hardware?

What are the reasons for not running Ceph on the Compute nodes.

Thanks

Pieter