Re: jbod + SMART : how to identify failing disks ?

Hi,

May or may not work depending on your JBOD and the way it's identified
and set up by the LSI card and the kernel:

cat /sys/block/sdX/../../../../sas_device/end_device-*/bay_identifier

The weird path and the wildcards are due to the way the sysfs is set up.

That works with a Dell R520, 6GB HBA SAS cards and Dell MD1200s, running
CentOS release 6.5.

Note that you can make your life easier by writing an udev script that
will create a symlink with a sane identifier for each of your external
disks. If you match along the lines of

KERNEL=="sd*[a-z]", KERNELS=="end_device-*:*:*"

then you'll just have to cat "/sys/class/sas_device/${1}/bay_identifier"
in a script (with $1 being the $id of udev after that match, so the
string "end_device-X:Y:Z") to obtain the bay ID.

Thanks,
JF