Re: buckets and users

You could setup dedicated zones for each environment, and not
replicate between them.

Each zone would have it's own URL, but you would be able to re-use
usernames and bucket names.  If different URLs are a problem, you
might be able to get around that in the load balancer or the web
servers.  I wouldn't really recommend that, but it's possible.

I have a similar requirement.  I was able to pre-pending the
environment name to the bucket in my client code, which made things
much easier.