Re: Troubleshooting Incomplete PGs

On Oct 22, 2014, at 1:50 PM, Craig Lewis wrote:
> Incomplete means "Ceph detects that a placement group is missing a necessary period of history from its log. If you see this state, report a bug, and try to start any failed OSDs that may contain the needed information".
>
> In the PG query, it lists some OSDs that it's trying to probe:
>           "probing_osds": [
>                 "10",
>                 "13",
>                 "15",
>                 "25"],
>           "down_osds_we_would_probe": [],
>
> Is one of those the OSD you replaced?  If so, you might try ceph pg {pg-id} mark_unfound_lost revert|delete.  That command will lose data; it tells Ceph to give up looking for data that it can't find, so you might want to wait a bit.

Yes. osd.10 was the OSD I replaced. :( I suspect that I didn't actually have any writes during this time and that a revert might leave me in an OK place.

Looking at the query more closely I see that all of the peers (except osd.10) have the same value for last_update/last_complete/last_scrub/last_deep_scrub except that the peer entry on osd.10 has 0 values for everything. It's as if all my OSDs are believing in the ghost of this PG on osd.10. I'd like to revert I just want to make sure that I'm going to revert to the sane value and not the 0 value.

> There's also the possibility that your crushmap is still not correct.  In the history, I can see that you had bad CRUSH MAPs in the past.  Stuff like
>   "recovery_state": [
>         { "name": "Started\/Primary\/Peering",
>           "enter_time": "2014-10-21 12:18:48.482666",
>           "past_intervals": [
>                 { "first": 4663,
>                   "last": 4685,
>                   "maybe_went_rw": 1,
>                   "up": [],
>                   "acting": [
>                         10,
>                         25,
>                         10,
>                         -1]},
>
> shows that CRUSH placed some data on osd.10 twice, which is a sign of a bad crushmap.  You might run through the crushtool testing at http://ceph.com/docs/master/man/8/crushtool/, just to make sure everything is kosher.

I checked with `crushtool --test -i crush.bin --show-bad-mappings` which showed me errors for mappings above 6 replicas (which I'd expect with my particular map) but nothing else. Modifying max_size to 6 gives clean output. I'm guessing that this was some hiccup related to the OSD dying.

Also, what's up with osd.-1?