Delete pools with low priority?

We have been running several rounds of benchmarks through the Rados
Gateway. Each run creates several hundred thousand objects and similarly
many containers.

The cluster consists of 4 machines, 12 OSD disks (spinning, 4TB) — 48
OSDs total.

After running a set of benchmarks we renamed the pools used by the
gateway pools to get a clean baseline. In total we now have several
million objects and containers in 3 pools. Redundancy for all pools is
set to 3.

Today we started deleting the benchmark data. Once the first renamed set
of RGW pools was executed, cluster performance started to go down the
drain. Using iotop we can see that the disks are all working furiously.
As the command to delete the pools came back very quickly, the
assumption is that we are now seeing the effects of the actual objects
being removed, causing lots and lots of IO activity on the disks,
negatively impacting regular operations.

We are running OpenStack on top of Ceph, and we see drastic reduction in
responsiveness of these machines as well as in CephFS.

Fortunately this is still a test setup, so no production systems are
affected. Nevertheless I would like to ask a few questions:

1) Is it possible to have the object deletion run in some low-prio mode?
2) If not, is there another way to delete lots and lots of objects
without affecting the rest of the cluster so badly? 3) Can we somehow
determine the progress of the deletion so far? We would like to estimate
if this is going to take hours, days or weeks? 4) Even if not possible
for the already running deletion, could be get a progress for the
remaining pools we still want to delete? 5) Are there any parameters
that we might tune — even if just temporarily - to speed this up?

Slide 18 of http://www.slideshare.net/Inktank_Ceph/scaling-ceph-at-cern
describes a very similar situation.

Thanks, Daniel