Re: ceph at "Universite de Lorraine"

Le 10/10/2014 16:58, Stéphane DUGRAVOT a écrit :
Hi all,

We (French University) plan to implement a storage platform (distributed of course) for a volume of 750 TB. We are interesting in CEPH ...

We wonder the availability of professional support in our project approach. Do you know a professional integrator that could assist us for :
  • early design,
  • deployment
  • and probably support ?
I already know 2 of them. But ...

Someone told me : "there is no need for professional support, just buy the equipment, install it and let it run ceph"

-> This is probably true, but distributed storage technologies are so new to us that we should consider professional support in our project approach (especially at this point).

It depends on your actual needs, experience with Ceph and the time you will be able to spend testing then maintaining the platform.

Ceph could be the only component in your storage platform or you might need to integrate it with other components (KVM, iSCSI targets, NFS, ...) this can generate a lot of questions (goals for service availability, needs for support of these other components, ...).

You might have to plan for later increases in storage capacity which might or might not have measurable impacts on performance during transitions depending on your initial choices of hardware and software configurations, is it relevant to your case?
You may have to deploy your platform incrementally for budget reasons which makes the previous question automatically relevant.

If I were in your place and there aren't any confidential information preventing you to do so, I'll describe your project in more details here to get a first feedback from the community on the challenges you might have deploying your platform. Then you'll have a better grasp on what you'll have to ask an integrator if you really need one.

Best regards,

Lionel Bouton