How to replace an node in ceph?

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 13:46:17 +0800 Ding Dinghua wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 12:09:11 +0800 Ding Dinghua wrote:
> >
> > > Please see my comment below:

> > >   [Ding Dinghua]: Yes, I have already set noout flag

> > >  [Ding Dinghua]: I set osd_crush_update_on_start to false, so when
> > > the osds on the new node start,
> > >                         /etc/init.d/ceph script won't do "ceph osd
> > > crush create-or-move", and the osds on new node will still in the
> > > old host, so no data migration will occur.

> > >   [Ding Dinghua]: Yes, since noout flag is set, these osds are
> > > [down, in]
> > >
> > So far, so good.
> >
> > However see below:

> > I don't think that will work. To recycle OSDs they would have to be
> > removed (triggering migration) first.
> >
>  [Ding Dinghua]:  I'm not removing/creating osds,  just change the
> storage which holds the osds, so osd id on the broken node should be
> used.

Oh, I see.  So you're moving the OSD disks to the new machine.
In that case, why not the OS disks as well?

Then start it up with the network disconnected (or otherwise prevent the
OSDs from being started, a tricky endeavor with those pesky udev rules),
re-connect the network, ntpdate ^o^, bring up one OSD at a time as you
intended below.

Christian