Openstack Havana root fs resize don't work

And you're using cloud-init in these cases, or are you executing
growrootfs via some other means?

If you're using cloud-init, you should see some useful messages in
/var/log/cloud-init.log (particularly on debian/ubuntu; I've found
centos' logs to not be as helpful).

Also, if you're using cloud-init, you want to make sure that you've
got it configured to do the right thing.  That changes a bit depending
on the version, but with debian wheezy, I make sure to have "growpart"
and "resizefs" in cloud_init_modules.  Also, I don't believe it's
strictly necessary, but I add this too because I'm not a big fan of
implicit defaults:

growpart:
  mode: auto
  devices: ['/']