CEPH placement groups and pool sizes

On 05/12/2014 02:20 PM, Pieter Koorts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Been doing some reading on the CEPH documentation and just wanted to
> clarify if anyone knows the (approximate) correct PG's for CEPH.
>
> What I mean is lets say I have created one pool with 4096 placement groups.
> Now instead of one pool I want two so if I were to create 2 pools
> instead would it be still 4096 placement groups per pool or would I
> divide it between the pools (e.g. 2048 pg per pool)

In the end you should remember that pools are not for free. The more
pools you have, the more PGs you have, the more memory and CPU you will
consume.

So in your setup, be aware that if you create 10 pools you have 40k PGs
which is to much for the OSDs to handle. So it's better to reduce the
number of PGs, use less pools or use RADOS namespaces (where supported).

> On a side note, per pool is that a recommended maximum of data before
> turning over to a new pool?

No, since there is no limit in the amount of objects that can be in a
single pool.