Bulk storage use case

Hello,

This build is only intended for archiving purpose, what matter here is
lowering ratio $/To/W.
Access to the storage would be via radosgw, installed on each nodes. I
need that each nodes sustain an average of 1Gb write rates, for which I
think it would not be a problem. Erasure encoding will be used with
something like k=12 m=3.

A typical node would be :

- Supermicro 36 bays
- 2x Xeon E5-2630Lv2
- 96Go ram (recommended ratio 1Go/To for OSD is lowered a bit ... )
- HBA LSI adaptaters, JBOD mode, could be 2x 9207-8i
- 36 HDD 4To with default journals config
- dedicated bonded 2Gb links for public/private networks (backfilling
will takes ages if a full node is lost ...)

I think in an *optimal* state (ceph healthy), it could handle the job.
Waiting for your comment.

What is bothering me more is cases of OSD maintenance operations like
backfilling and cluster re balancing, where nodes will be put under very
hight IO/memory and CPU load during hours/days. Does the latency will
*just* grow up, or does everything will fly away ? (OOMK spawn, OSD
suicides because of latency, node pushed out of the cluster, ect ... )

As you understand I am trying to design the cluster with in mind a sweet
spot like "things becomes slow, latency grow up, but the node stay
stable/usable and aren't pushed out of the cluster".

This is my first jump into Ceph, so any inputs will be greatly
appreciated ;-)

Cheers,

--
C?dric