Re: The Ceph disk I would like to have

I've wanted to try hacking a Pogoplug ~($12 on eBay with free shipping right now, as I just saw on Dealigg this week) to become an OSD (inserting one 3TB disk).  I believe all of these have a SATA port, though the amount of RAM varies.  These lesser ARM processors are pretty slow for this kind of work too.  After much thought, I decided it would probably be better to make the Pogoplug an iSCSI target.

I guess the topology would be to run ~10 such Pogoplugs on a layer-2 gigabit switch with a 10GbE uplink.  Then, a copper crossover cable would be used to connect to a 10GbE port on a desktop.  The desktop would use iSCSI to mount the Pogoplugs.  These block devices would back 10 OSDs with a some quantity of trim'able USB3.0 thumbdrives for OS and journals.  Multiple a few times... profit?

I got that far with the though experiment about a year ago, but gave I up because it dawned on me how impractical and inefficient this would all be.

Anyway.. Back to work.  :-)

Jumbo frames on a Pogoplug? Cool!

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/25/2014 10:49 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's not available yet but ... are we far away ?

It's a pity Pi doesn't do SATA. Otherwise all you'd need's a working arm
port and some scripting...

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin