Re: Fluctuating I/O speed degrading over time

Hi Mariusz,

Good day to you, and thank you for your email.

>You should probably start by hooking up all servers into  some kind of statistics
>gathering software (we use collectd + graphite ) and monitor  at least disk stats
>(latency + iops + octets) and network.

Thank you for your recommendation on collectd + graphite. I have checked and they just do the collection of the data and graph it, but what is the tools to gather the data, especially the disk stats latency and iops? What tools are recommended? I used iostat but it doesn't seem to give much information. What parameters I need to lookout to check the latency and iops?

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Cheers.

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:04 AM, Mariusz Gronczewski <mariusz.gronczewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 17:50:44 +0800, Indra Pramana <indra@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Any advice on how can I start to troubleshoot what might have caused the
> degradation of the I/O speed? Does utilisation contributes to it (since now
> we have more users compared to last time when we started)? Any optimisation
> we can do to improve the I/O performance?

You should probably start by hooking up all servers into  some kind of statistics
gathering software (we use collectd + graphite ) and monitor  at least disk stats
(latency + iops + octets) and network.

Then it is much easier to see potential problems, for example we found
 failing-but-not-yet-dead disks that sorta kinda worked but their latency was 10x
higher than all other disks in machine.

Mariusz Gronczewski, Administrator

efigence S. A.
ul. Wołoska 9a, 02-583 Warszawa