Re: Fluctuating I/O speed degrading over time

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 17:50:44 +0800, Indra Pramana <indra@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Any advice on how can I start to troubleshoot what might have caused the
> degradation of the I/O speed? Does utilisation contributes to it (since now
> we have more users compared to last time when we started)? Any optimisation
> we can do to improve the I/O performance?

You should probably start by hooking up all servers into  some kind of statistics
gathering software (we use collectd + graphite ) and monitor  at least disk stats
(latency + iops + octets) and network.

Then it is much easier to see potential problems, for example we found
 failing-but-not-yet-dead disks that sorta kinda worked but their latency was 10x
higher than all other disks in machine.

Mariusz Gronczewski, Administrator

efigence S. A.
ul. Wołoska 9a, 02-583 Warszawa