Re: can one slow hardisk slow whole cluster down?

Hi,

At least it used to be like that - I'm not sure if that has changed. I believe this is also part why it is adviced to go with the same kind of hw and setup if possible.

Since at least rbd images are spread in objects throughout the cluster you'll prob. have to wait for a slow disk when reading - writing will still go journal -> disk so if you have the ssd journal -> sata you prob. wont notice that much unless you're doing lots and/or heavy writes.

You can peak into it via the admin socket and get some perfstats for each osd (iirc it is 'perf dump' you want). You could set something up to poll at given intervals and graph it and prob. spot trends/slow disks that way.

I think it is a manual process to locate a slow drive and either drop it from the cluster or give it lower weight.

If possible, I'd suggest toying with something like fio/bonnie++ in a guest and run some tests with and without the osd/node in question - you'll know for certain then.

Cheers,
Martin