Re: Calculating required number of PGs per pool

Am 28.01.2014 17:25, schrieb Peter Matulis:
> Within the formula [1] there is an assumption that all pools contain the
> same number of objects.  That's nearly always not the case.

From my experience, the two conditions that should be fulfilled are:

1. There should be a sufficient number of PGs per OSD.
2. The data size distribution of all PGs should be within reasonable bounds.

When condition 1 is not fulfilled, the I/O load does not spread evenly through
the cluster.

When condition 2 is not fulfilled, recovery is not going to be smooth. Ceph
warns when the data size of any single PG is more than ten times the average
PG size.

So there is no hard-and-fast rule for PG sizing. I see some heuristics which
should be observed.

@Ceph devs - please correct me if I'm wrong.

HTH

Christian

--
Dipl.-Inf. Christian Kauhaus <>< · kc@xxxxxxxxxx · systems administration
gocept gmbh & co. kg · Forsterstraße 29 · 06112 Halle (Saale) · Germany