Re: Calculating required number of PGs per pool

On 01/28/2014 10:08 AM, Graeme Lambert wrote:
> Hi Karan,
>
> Surely this doesn't apply to all pools though?  Several of the pools
> created for the RADOS gateway have very small levels of objects and if I
> set 256 PGs to all pools I would have warnings about the ratio of
> objects to pgs.

Within the formula [1] there is an assumption that all pools contain the
same number of objects.  That's nearly always not the case.

And I question the 'power of 2' rule.  Also to confirm is the value of
'the number of PGs should be a multiple of the number of OSDs'.  If
these rules can help they do so only to a certain extent.  If they lead
you to too many PGs then they can make things worse.  For instance,
going from 200 to 256 is too much of an increase IMO.

[1]:
number of PGs per pool = (number of OSDs) x 100 / (number of total
object copies)

/pm