Re: RadosGW S3 API - Bucket Versions

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Yehuda Sadeh <yehuda@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For each object that rgw stores it keeps a version tag. However this
version is not ascending, it's just used for identifying whether an
object has changed. I'm not completely sure what is the problem that
you're trying to solve though.

We have two datacenters. I want to have two regions that are split across both datacenters. Let's say us-west and us-east are our regions, us-east-1 would live in one datacenter and be the primary zone for the us-east region while us-east-2 would live in the other datacenter and be secondary zone. We then do the opposite for us-west.

What I was envisioning, I think will not work. For example:

- write object A.0 to bucket X in us-west-1 (master)
- us-west-1 (master) goes down.
- write to us-west-2 (secondary) a _new_ version of of object A.1 to bucket X
- us-west-1 comes back up
- read object A.1 from us-west-1

The idea being that if you are versioning objects, you are never updating them, so it doesn't matter that the copy of the object that is now in us-west-1 is read-only.

I'm not even sure if this is an accurate description of how replication operates, but I thought I'd discussed a master-master scenario with someone who said this _might_ be possible... assuming you had versioned objects.